ID Checks & Certifying Documents

ID Checks & Certifying copies of ID Documents for existing clients

We can perform ID Checks or certify ID documents for existing clients, where the documents are required for a current matter where Talbots are instructed.  No fee is charged for this service.

Land Registry 1D1 and 1D2 Forms

We are able to handle the completion of Land Registry ID1and ID2 Forms which relate to identity checks.  Our current charge is £75 plus VAT, and payment of our fees is required at the meeting with the Talbots lawyer who completes the Form(s).

Swearing Oaths and Affirmations

A swear is when an individual signs a legal document in the presence of a solicitor or “Commissioner for Oaths” and then “swears” on the bible (or other religious book) that the contents of the legal document are true.  If you are non-religious then you can “affirm” instead.  Examples of documents to be sworn may include Statutory Declarations and Oaths for probate and estate administration purposes.

All of Talbots solicitors and chartered legal executives holding a current practising certificate, are able to help.  We countersign the document and insert the details, to confirm you have sworn the document correctly. Please note that by countersigning your document we are only verifying that you have carried out the swearing procedure correctly.  The whole process should take around 10 minutes.

Please also note that a Talbots Commissioner for Oaths cannot swear any documents that Talbots have advised on or have prepared.  This needs to be done independently.  The cost is £5 per person for the sworn document and £2 for each exhibit/attachment (if there are any) and payment of our fees is due at the meeting with the lawyer when the document is sworn or affirmed.  Receipts are available on request.

When administering a swear the Commissioner for Oaths is unable to give you any legal advice as to whether the document has been correctly completed.  Nor can they advise about the legal implications of signing that document.  If it is legal advice that you require, we can arrange for you to meet with one of our other specialist lawyers.   The advice is chargeable – we are able to offer this initial advice from £99 (including VAT).

You will also have to bring some identification with you (e.g. passport or driving licence and utility bill) to swear the oath. 

Certification of Documents

You may have been asked to provide a “Certified Copy” of a document to other solicitors, or to Government Departments, for example.  A “Certified Copy”  is an exact copy of an original document, countersigned by a solicitor to confirm that it is identical to the original. The wording of the Certification will depend on the precise requirements of those asking you to provide it.

Talbots can assist with most certification requests, but we will need to know exactly what wording you require us to use. Our fees will depend upon the wording of the certification required, as well as the number of pages that need to be certified. It is best to speak to us first to make an appointment and give a quotation for the cost.  Our charges for certifying documents start from £50 plus VAT.

You will need to bring the original of the document that is required to be Certified. You will also have to bring some identification with you (e.g. passport or driving licence and utility bill). 

Passport Application Forms

Kindly note that counter-signing Passport Application Forms is not a service we are able to offer.

For any further information please contact our New Enquiries team on 0800 118 1500.

Ask us a question

We’re here to help. Please fill in this simple form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy.

Your home

Buying at auction

Helping you before and after the hammer falls.


The most stressful purchase of your life - we'll help.

Buy to let

A lucrative industry, but often a struggle.

Buying a new home

Fresh, all yours and no chain.


Get a better deal or borrow more.

Planning law

Applications, appeals the environment, we can help.

Tenancy agreements

Are you a landlord? Let us help you.

Transfer of title

We'll make your property transaction easy.

Residential development

Our specialist team is here to help.