Name change solicitors

Everything changes. Why shouldn’t your name? Though we are all given a name at birth, we still have the power to change it. Some change their name due to divorce. Some change it when they simply feel it doesn’t suit them.

Whatever your reason, our name change solicitors will simplify the process, leaving you with a new name in no time.

Sometimes, a little change can have a big impact. Whether it’s post-divorce, stems from family conflict, or you simply aren’t happy with it – changing your name can help you on your path to a new beginning. You are free at any time to change your first name, your middle name or your surname. You can also change the spelling of your name.

Ultimately, you can choose to be legally called by any name you like – within reason, of course. If you wish to change your name to a symbol – we promise we’ll try not to laugh. We just can’t promise it will get accepted.

Why choose Talbots name change solicitors?

When it comes to name change, we’ve heard it all. We aren’t here to pass judgments. We’re here to make the process simple and straightforward. With vast experience, we know the ins and outs of the name change process and can talk you through it with ease. Our team of specialist name change solicitors will help you to draft a Change of Name Deed, a legal document required in order to amend or update the name you were given at birth. We’ll also provide advice on compliance with HM Passport Office, who have their own rules on acceptable names. At Talbots Law, we want you to feel comfortable about coming to us for a range of issues. Our promise to you is to be available round the clock, whenever you need advice on life’s legal issues.

Who can change their name?

Anyone over the age of 16 is legally entitled to change their name, so long as the intention is not to defraud anyone in doing so. Anyone below the age of 16 can change their name, but they must have official parental consent to do so.

How do I change my name?

The first step in changing your name is getting in touch with a member of our team. Our name change solicitors will need to see your birth certificate along with two forms of identification such as a driving license and a recent bank statement. If divorced, it’s vital you bring your decree absolute granted to you by the Court. Once our name change solicitors have reviewed these documents, we will help you draft the Deed Poll. As soon as you sign the Deed Poll and it is sent to the Courts, your new name will become official.

Though the process is fairly straightforward, everyone makes mistakes. For something so important as your name, it’s best to let a specialist name change solicitor help you through the process. That’s where Talbots Law come in. Just give us a call, or fill out the enquiry form and we’ll get back to you shortly.

For guidelines on acceptable and unacceptable names, visit the Deed Poll Office website.


  • Anna Robinson
      • 0121 647 3979
      • View profile
  • Diane Jones
      • 01902 392308
      • View profile
  • Grace Trenchard
      • 01562 756872
      • 07778 678699
      • View profile
  • James Wright
      • 01902 271491
      • 07530 979794
      • View profile
  • Karen Gray
      • 01384 247988
      • View profile
  • Katie Wager
      • 01384 247984
      • View profile
  • Louise Jones
      • 01902 392304
      • View profile
  • Martina Dutton
      • 01902 271502
      • View profile
  • Michelle Guest
      • 01384 985196
      • View profile
  • Rebecca Till
      • 01384 445773
      • View profile
  • Samantha Oakley
      • 01902 296636
      • View profile
  • Stephen Round
      • 01384 247985
      • View profile
  • Suzanne Waterfield
      • 01902 392309
      • 07834 180974
      • View profile