Personal debt solicitors
When you are owed a sum of money, you can run yourself in circles chasing the debt. Instead of allowing it to impact on your finances, speak to Talbots Law. Teaming a sensitive approach with determination, we can salvage your relationship and recover the debt at the same time.
When a personal debt is left unpaid, you may not be sure where to turn. The task of chasing the payment can be frustrating and tiresome, and you may become involved in a dispute. While you’re desperate to recover the debt, you may be afraid of falling out with the debtor on a personal or commercial level. At Talbots Law, our priority is to save you time and stress. With a smart and proactive approach, we’ll successfully do both, allowing you to avoid courtroom confrontation or the breakdown of your relationship.
Why choose Talbots Law for personal debt recovery?
At Talbots Law, we know how challenging it can be to recover a debt when the debtor is reluctant to pay. After a number of phonecalls, you may believe you’ve exhausted your options. Think again. At Talbots Law, we see ourselves as problem solvers. Nothing is too challenging for our team, and when it comes to debt recovery, we have the experience and expertise necessary to recover your debt with minimal fuss. Rather than letting the stress build up and the debt go unpaid, speak to a member of our team. We recognise the importance of instigating dialogue with the debtor, and after gaining a full understanding of your situation, we’ll decide on the right course of action to recover your debts. With a can-do approach, we will stop at nothing to ensure a debtor doesn’t impact your finances. Where court proceedings become inevitable, we won’t hesitate to take a strong stance in order to recover the debt.
What is the debt recovery process?
The first step is to seek legal advice. When you contact Talbots, we’ll take the time to listen to your concerns and familiarise ourselves with your situation. That way, we can provide advice on the best route to debt recovery.
The debt recovery process varies depending on the situation, but in general will stick to the following formula:
- Sending a letter of claim to your debtor
This letter will be sent from Talbots Law, informing the debtor of the amount owed and requesting payment. It will also explain the consequences of avoiding payment to the debtor, which should prompt them to pay the owed amount to avoid serious legal action.
- Telephone calls chasing payment
If there is no response to the letter, our personal debt solicitors will contact the debtor by phone and request payment.
- Issuing court proceedings
If the debtor still fails to pay the owed amount, we will issue court proceedings against them, leaving the debtor no option but to repay the debt.
- Obtaining a County Court Judgment (CCJ)
A County Court Judgement is a legally binding document which will set out how the debt should be repaid to your debtor, and the time frame in which they have to make the payment.
Enforcing the CCJ
If a County Court Judgement has been obtained, but the debtor is still refusing to pay, there are various methods of enforcing a CCJ:
- Attachment of earnings – in this case, the money will be deducted from the debtor’s account directly.
- Charging order – A charging order will recover the debt through the sale of the debtors house, taking any owed amount from their profit to repay you.
- Third party debt order – This will freeze the money in the debtor’s account until they have paid the owed amount.
- Warrant of execution – It’s rare for debt recovery to reach this stage, but if it does, a bailiff will seize goods directly from the debtor to sell in order to recover your debt.
- Transfer to High Court – the final stage is for a High Court Enforcement Officer to collect the money from the debtor either through their bank account or through seizing their goods to sell for the debt to be repaid.
Rarely will debt recovery escalate into a CCJ, and with our solicitors on board, you can rest assured that your debt will be repaid with minimal hassle involved.
At Talbots Law, we know how frustrating it can be to chase a personal debt. Instead of letting the stress build up, let our debt recovery solicitors help you recover the debt and take the weight off your shoulders. Call us today on 0800 118 1500
- Bryan Colley
- Director of Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence
- 07817 426073
- Jagdip Bains
- Director & Head of Dispute Resolution & Employment
- John Graham
- Josh Millichamp
- Ratika Mal
- Trainee Solicitor
- Samuel Lane
- Trainee Solicitor
- Sonia Gaddu
For more information please contact us