Careers at Talbots
With 10 offices and over 420 staff, you need something everyone believes in and our people believe in our ambition to remain the region’s leading legal provider of choice. Every day, they bring their passion to work. We give them freedom to innovate and be different whilst supporting their individual career development and learning plans. All we ask in return is that they do the right thing – every time – and talk a language people understand.
What’s it like to work at Talbots?
Talbots Law is an Employee Ownership Trust (EOT) – a major legal first for the West Midlands. Former CEO and majority shareholder Mary Morgan sold the majority of her shares to a newly-formed Trust that will look to build on the firm’s recent growth and execute a 5-year plan that could see the business reach £25m in fees.
The aim is to capture and protect the independent, innovative and passionate people culture of the company by placing its 400+ staff at the very heart of the legal specialist going forward.
Awards and recognition
Not only have we made it onto the Best Companies list for the fourth year running and maintained our 2-Star rating, we’re also featured in the Law’s 20 Best Firms to work for, and one of the Midlands’ 100 Best Companies.
As a 2-Star company, we are recognised as one of the best workplaces in the UK, and as an organisation striving for the top. The Best Companies Survey is the most famous employee survey in the UK. The confidential responses to the 70 Best Companies questions allow us to see what we’re doing well, and where we can improve.
The Benefits of Working at Talbots
- Talbots Law is an Employee Owned Company and a member of the EOA
- Competitive salaries with annual review
- Talbots is committed to the Real Living Wage Foundation
- An annual tax-free profit-share (as part of us being an EOT)
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (24/7) for all Employees
- Interest-free employee loan (for unexpected/extraordinary expenses)
- Independent financial advice service for pensions, savings, investments and mortgages
- 27 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays
- Established Company progression framework
- Individual career progression plans (including support towards professional qualifications where desired)
- Company pension scheme (4% from Talbots: 4% from employees)
- Flexible and hybrid working available for experienced/qualified roles
- Group Life Assurance
- Enhanced Company Sick Pay
- Compassionate Leave
- Bank of Talbots (Staff credit for legal fees)
- Social events programme with larger event invitations extended to partners & families
- Access to Perkbox App – Industry Leading Employee Benefits & Awards Platform
- Strong commitment to charitable initiatives (we are proud to be a corporate sponsor of Acorns Children’s Hospice)
- Additional benefits including private health care for Associates & Directors
promotions so far in 2023
of staff applicable for bonus in 2023
of staff at director level are female
Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility forms one of our core values, as we commit to giving back to causes doing vitally important work in our community.
Since 2017, we have raised and donated more than £130,000 to Birmingham Children’s Hospital, regularly donate thousands of pounds and supplies to foodbanks across the Midlands, support charitable initiatives such as supplying free Wills through Cancer Research UK and provide regular prizes or entry into charitable events around the region. We also offer free, drop-in legal advice clinics at women’s refuges and are one of very few law firms which undertakes Legal Aid work, ensuring those with financial or social challenges are still able to access the highest quality of legal support when they need it. Our community is at the heart of everything we do. For 2023 our nominated Charity of the Year is Acorns Hospice.
Equality, Inclusion and Diversity
Talbots Law is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our workforce, and eliminating unlawful discrimination.
The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our clients, and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best.
In providing services, Talbots is also committed against unlawful discrimination of clients or the public.